Saturday, February 18, 2012

End of Project Rituals

No matter how early I begin a project to meet a deadline, I can find myself struggling to put the hours in that my painting deserves. During, shall we call it, "the heat of the moment" I am often guilty of letting other aspects of my life take the back seat. Experience has taught me the world will go on and I continue to paint. As that venture comes to an end I begin planning my maintenance program which allows me the freedom to paint once again. My maintenance or end of project ritual includes deep cleaning of paint brushes, palette, palette cups, goop building up on tubes of paint, restocking supplies and a general organizing and re-freshening of my work space.

Yesterday I ran errands in Oakhurst in order to complete some neglected items on my maintenance list when a force of nature made my hands pull hard on the steering wheel turning into the Oakhurst Art Gallery Row parking lot.  Usually this is something I do during the Art Walk to socialize with other artist, art lovers and view the newest exhibit, so yesterday was a bit irregular.

Wow what an inspiring and rewarding day it was. I highly recommend visiting art galleries not only for the awesome parties, during the opening of a show but also during some of the slower hours. Gallery docents will have more time to talk about an art piece or artist. I found it very inspiring! My new end of project ritual will be added on my list probably right next to item number one . . . A  Massage!!

No comments:

Post a Comment